What is Lipoedema?
Lipoedema is a chronic (commonly genetic) disorder where the deposition of adipose (fatty) tissue accumulates in the legs, hips and buttocks and occasionally arms. It usually only affects women and is often misdiagnosed as obesity or ‘just being overweight’.
Many women go through life thinking they are ‘fat’ and all the dieting and/or starvation they may try does not reduce the size of the buttocks and legs. This can be very disheartening for most woman and they can suffer emotional problems and have a poor body image.
“Being diagnosed with Lipoedema in 2013, I was given support stockings but they hurt my legs too much so I stopped wearing them. I went back to get help again for my legs in 2018/19 and this time I was referred to Michelle to try lymphatic massage.
What a difference it has made, it is a very light and feathery type of massage starting with the neck, down your body in conjunction with breathing exercises. The facial massage is to die for, heavenly, totally relaxing. I can now wear the stockings all day and not realise that I have them on. I highly recommend this when you need support stockings as it does change your life to be able to just walk or stand.” – Joanne B.
Symptoms & Presentation
- Legs (and arms) are swollen and symmetrical in shape (feet and hands not usually affected);
- Starts from the hips down;
- Muscle pain and/or tenderness in legs;
- Easy bruising;
- Orange peel appearance on the surface of the skin.
What to expect during your Lipoedema treatment
- Understanding your condition discussion;
- Lipoedema education provided;
- Manual lymphatic drainage;
- Exercises demonstrated;
- Self-massage demonstration;
- Measurements may be taken (depending on individual case);
- Initial appointment may last 1.5 hours;
- Subsequent appointments – 1 hour duration.